An easy and delicious sprouted lentil salad made with sprouted lentils, veggies, arugula and a homemade salad dressing. Vegan and gluten-free.
Why You Need This Recipe
- This salad is super easy to make.
- Packed with nutrient dense ingredients.
- Fresh and flavorful.
- Great on its own or served as a side dish.
- Naturally vegan, plant based, dairy free, gluten free, nut-free and soy free.
What You Will Need To Make This Recipe
If you are making homemade lentil sprouts, you will need a mason jar and sprouting lid.
If you already have lentil sprouts on hand from the supermarket, you will not need much more than a salad bowl or mixing bowl!
Ingredients and Substitutes
Sprouted lentils: You can find sprouted lentils in some natural health food grocery stores or you can easily make your own with this sprouted lentils recipe.
Arugula: Regular arugula or baby arugula leaves both taste great in this salad. If you are not a fan of arugula or do not have any on hand, fresh spinach or any mixed greens blend works well.
Green onions: Sliced green onions add a nice fresh pop of flavor. If you are not a fan of green onions, you can swap it for another veggie of your choosing or use any variety of onion you prefer.
Carrots: Shredded carrots add some natural sweetness to this salad.
Olive oil: A good quality extra virgin olive oil really shines in this recipe. Having said that, use any oil prefer or have on hand. Avocado oil is a second favorite.
Red wine vinegar: Red wine vinegar really lends an extraordinary flavor to this salad. If you need to swap it, I would advise using lemon juice or apple cider vinegar instead.
Brown mustard: A good quality stoneground brown mustard works well, but Dijon mustard or even regular yellow mustard will get the trick done in a pinch.
Salt and pepper: Essentials for enhancing the flavors of the other ingredients.
Garlic powder: Garlic pairs well with the ingredients in this salad recipe, but if you are not a fan, feel free to omit.
Maple syrup: The slightest hint of sweetness simply elevates the other flavors in this salad. If you prefer not using it, you can omit or replace with any sweetener of your choosing. I also like to use raw honey or coconut sugar in a pinch.
Smoked paprika: The smokiness of a good smoked paprika (not to be confused with sweet paprika!), really is a large part of the flavor of this salad, so I do not recommend omitting.
How to Make a Sprouted Lentil Salad
If you are using store-bought lentil sprouts, you will only need to mix the salad ingredients and salad dressing ingredients together in a large bowl before digging in.
If making your own lentil sprouts, you will want to plan ahead a few days and prepare them before assembling your salad.
- If you are not vegan, crumbled feta cheese is delicious in this salad.
- For even more protein power, crispy air fried tofu is super tasty tossed together with this salad.
- This salad is versatile! Feel free to toss in additional vegetables like cucumber, red onion, tomato or bell pepper.
- For additional flavor and vitamins, add some fresh herbs like cilantro, mint or parsley.
- You can make this sprouted salad is even more sprouted by adding more sprouts, like mung bean sprouts or quinoa sprouts.
This salad works well on its own or served alongside dishes like:
- Pizza bowls
- Bell Pepper Sandwich
- Creamy tomato basil pasta
- Taco de papa dorados
- Vegetarian stew
- Air fryer home fries.
- Spicy baked tofu noodles
- Jackfruit chili
More Delicious Salad Recipes
Sprouted Lentil Salad
- 2 cups sprouted lentils
- 2 cups fresh arugula leaves
- ½ cup carrots shredded
- 4 fresh green onions sliced, both white and green parts
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or any vinegar of choice
- 2 teaspoons brown mustard or Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large mixing bowl or salad bowl, add the sprouted lentils, arugula, carrots and green onions. Mix to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, vinegar, mustard, salt, garlic powder, paprika, maple syrup and pepper. Whisk until smooth.
Putting It Together
- Pour the dressing over the salad, then toss to coat. Enjoy!
This was totally delicious!!! I loved the flavor and texture of this salad!
Rebekah Kuk says
What a lovely recipe! I get stuck in a rut with always serving them hot, so I definitely appreciated the change of pace by transforming them into a salad. The flavors were spot on.
Thank you so much for taking the time to share here. So happy to hear. 🙂
Jere Cassidy says
We buy sprouts at our farmer's market so I am glad to have your recipe with that fabulous salad dressing.
I've been incorporating more sprouts into my lunches and this is my new favorite way to do so - what a delicious dressing! Thank you for the recipe.
So happy to hear that! Thank you for sharing!
Journa Liz Ramirez says
This salad is not just easy to make but is also healthy and nutritious. Highly recommended!
Thanks so much!